Chicken Noodle soup is a classic comfort food. I love warming up with a bowl of Chicken noodle soup during a cold and frosty day. And sipping the broth and eating this soup to soothe a cold; it’s like getting a big warm hug. And while the favorite chicken soup of our childhood often included little pasta stars, there’s nothing like a hearty homemade chicken noodle soup. This easy soup comes together quickly, and is a great meal to serve your family.
Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients:
[post contains affiliate link; if you click through and make a purchase I may be compensated.]
Chicken: 2 Cups cut into bite sized pieces. I use organic rotisserie chicken from the store to save time
Olive Oil: 3 Tablespoons
Salt: 1 tsp kosher salt
Pepper: 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Onion: 1 Large onion (I use sweet or vidalia onions)
Carrots: 5-6 small-medium carrots
Celery: 4-5 medium stalks
Chicken broth: 2 (32 oz) containers of chicken broth. I buy low sodium organic containers to save time when not using homemade.
Pasta: Any type of pasta; I often use egg noodles, ditalini, or orzo
- (Note): You can add and cook pasta as stated in the recipe below. Just be aware that pasta swells the longer it sits in the broth. So if you’re going to save any and serve later, you may want to cook pasta separately and add to chicken soup as needed.
What You’ll Need to Make the Soup:
Freezer Bags (optional):
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe:
1. Remove Chicken from the bones and take off skin. Then chop chicken into bite size pieces.
2. Wash and peel celery and carrots. Then dice onion, celery and carrots. Next, place veggies in the pot and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Saute over medium to medium high heat for about 5-10 minutes until veggies soften. Also, it’s important to keep the pot covered and stir often to prevent burning.
3. Pour in 2 (32 oz) containers of chicken broth: I either use homemade broth or boxes or organic low sodium chicken broth. Then I add 8 cups of water, cover the pot and bring to a boil.
4. Add your pasta to the soup (I use around 1/2 to 3/4 of a box of pasta) and cook until pasta cooked according to directions on pasta package. Then lower the soup to a simmer.
5. Next, place the cut-up chicken pieces into the soup next. Finally, add any extra salt and pepper to taste. Then serve or store pasta in the fridge or freezer. I usually freeze half of the soup so I have a great meal on a night I don’t feel like cooking. The rest I store in my fridge in an 8 cup Pyrex container (shown below).
pyrex storage container with lid and pour spout
What Goes Well With Chicken Noodle Soup?
- Bread – Use can use any kind of bread. I often buy a fresh loaf of a harder, crusty bread from the bakery and have them slice it. These types of bread stand up well to dipping in the broth.
- Grilled Cheese
I hope you enjoy this homemade chicken noodle soup! Also, let me know if you make this for yourself or your family!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Chicken Chili: A Nutritious One Pot Dinner Idea
Best Baked Salmon Recipe: [Easy & Delicious]
Fall Decorating Ideas for the Home
SPANX leggings You Need to Level Up Your Look This Year
30+ Awesome Money Saving Tips SAHM’s will Love
- The Best Shows on Netflix for Moms to Binge Watch this Year
- A DIY Halloween Costume Idea: Fluffy Chicken
- 25+ Preschool activities to do at home
- 10 Things I’ve Learned Having a Second Child
That soup looks delicious!!!! (and EASY) .
I’m gonna try it out … I’ll let you know how it turns out.